DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal System
Please Check Stock Availability
- Supports Cameras up to 8 Pounds
- Precision of Control: ±0.02°
- Transmitter for Remote Pan/Tilt Control
- Tool-Less Balance Adjustment System
- Assistant Software for iOS and Windows
- Bluetooth Wireless Interface for Setup
- Silent Mode For Quiet Operation
- USB and PowerTap Power Outputs
Please note: In the event that a refund is requested on any DJI product for reasons not based on the rules set out in the Consumer Protection Act, and that product has been registered and/or activated, a 30% handling fee will be applicable.
OverviewThe Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer from DJI is a camera stabilization system designed to give the operator close to the freedom of unencumbered handheld shooting but without the hand-shake. Suitable for most camera types and configurations up to 8 pounds, the Ronin-M uses brushless motors that work on three axes: one for side-to-side "roll" - keeping the horizon level - one for tilt, and one for pan. The system is computer-controlled and features a tilt range of 105⁰ up / 165⁰ down plus a roll range of ±110⁰. Furthermore, the system boasts a precision of control of ±0.02°, enabling precise camera moves and stability correction against even very fine movements. In addition to handheld shooting, the gimbal can be used in vehicle mounting scenarios and other contexts where vibrations or other abrupt movements would make tripods and rigid camera support systems unsuitable.
The Ronin-M supports dual-operator shooting, much like working with a jib that has a motorized pan/tilt head. In this mode, a second operator would use the included transmitter (radio controller) to manually control camera pan and tilt independently of which way the Ronin-M itself moves. The included transmitter/receiver system operates on 2.4 GHz and is proprietary. If you prefer to use a third-party transmitter there is a D-Bus port on the Ronin-M to install your own receiver.
As with sled and vest style stabilizers, motorized gimbal systems require balancing before use. Once balanced, you can configure the Ronin-M for your particular camera arrangement using the Assistant Software for compatible iOS and Windows (Desktop) devices with Bluetooth. Because every camera and lens combination has a different mass and weight distribution, there is an ATS (Auto Tune Stability) procedure in which each axis will adjust individually, repeating the process until all three are aligned. A gimbal tuning stand is provided so you won't have to hand-hold the rig during this process.
The included 4S lithium-polymer battery powers the Ronin-M for up to six hours. It is a "smart" battery, meaning power regulation and protection circuitry is built-in and there is no separate balancing lead, unlike many lithium-polymer batteries. A charger is also included, and it is important to always use chargers designed for the Ronin-M battery because of the smart circuitry. Two 12V DC PowerTaps and one USB power port on the camera base allow you to power on-camera accessories directly from the Ronin-M battery to simplify your charging regime and avoid unnecessary added weight.
- For Cameras Up to 8 lb
- The Auto Configuration feature means the Ronin-M can adapt to a range of camera sizes, and is ideally suited for compact video cameras, mirrorless cameras, and DSLRs. It is suitable for payloads up to 8 pounds.
- SmoothTrack Control
- SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to translate their tilt and pan movements of the gimbal into smooth and stabilized movements of the camera's angle. This is designed to make framing of broad wide-angle scenes or even shooting in close quarters much easier during single gimbal operator use.
- Auto Configuration
- After balancing the camera with a simple tap of the ATS (Auto Tune Stability) button, Ronin-M will be automatically tuned for the mass and weight distribution of your camera rig. The gimbal will intelligently adjust parameters based on the camera rig's weight and independently adjust each of the three axes until an optimal setting is found.
- Three Operation Modes
- Upright Operation Mode
Upright Mode allows the gimbal to be flipped over so the camera can be operated closer to eye level without straining to lift the gimbal. This can be used in various situations, such mounting on the top of the vehicle.
Underslung (Suspended) Operation Mode
Suspended Operation Mode is the standard operation mode for Ronin-M. Low slung, close to the ground, or simply holding the gimbal in front of you offers stabilized handheld footage. This mode would also be used when mounted the gimbal on a flying platform such as a multirotor RC helicopter.
When a slimmer gimbal profile is needed - such as when moving through doorways or narrow paths - Briefcase Mode is ideal. It allows the gimbal to be held to the side and close to the legs, much like a briefcase.
- Second Operator Control
- Featuring the form factor of an RC aircraft radio controller, the 2.4 GHz Ronin transmitter provides pan and tilt control as well user-assignable speed settings and operation modes via two toggle switches. This allows one operator to hold the gimbal assembly while a second manually controls camera movement remotely. If you would rather use a third-party transmitter a D-bus port is provided as well.
- Optional Thumb Controller for Pan / Tilt
- Single thumb control is possible for the Ronin-M Handheld Gimbal System. These Pan and Tilt movements are controlled via the optional Thumb Controller attachment, available separately. Additionally, SmoothTrack Mode can be turned on or off using the Thumb Controller interface.
- Assistant Software for Mobile and Windows
- A mobile device or computer to run the Assistant Software is essential. It is available for select iOS mobile devices and Windows computers. With the software you can:
- Auto Configure the rig based on the weight and weight distribution of your camera after you've balanced it
- Adjust Smoothtrack tuning to user preference
- Enable and configure Second Operator Control
- Run diagnostics and generate stats
- Install firmware updates
The software can interface via USB or wirelessly over Bluetooth
- Tool-Free Adjustment
- A built-in balance adjustment system means no tools are needed for setup and adjustment, saving time when changing the setup for different camera arrangements.
- Universal Mounting
- Beside the handle bars, the gimbal unit can be detached for mounting on jibs, cranes, tripods, vehicle mounts, and other types of camera support equipment (additional mounting hardware, available separately, may be required).
- Solid Support Arm
- Increased rigidity is provided by a single, complete piece of fine-tooled magnesium that forms the U-shaped arm holding the camera plate. This unified design helps eliminate imperfection common in systems made of multiple pieces assembled together. The arm gives you not only greater stability but also reliability, as there is no potential for separate pieces to come loose or move apart
- Silent Mode
- When shooting indoors or in tight spaces, Silent Mode reduces the sound of each motor as low as possible. The Ronin-M's stabilization algorithms are updated to focus on minute changes and stabilization, helping ensure the sound of the motors is not recorded by sensitive microphones or other recording equipment
- Quick Release Smart Battery
- Providing an estimated 6 hours of run time (depending on use), the proprietary Ronin-M battery system is designed for easy changes in the field and charges using a dedicated charger that is included. The batteries feature indicators so remaining power can be checked directly on the battery itself. Unlike may lithium-polymer batteries, with the Ronin-M Smart Battery, overcharge and over depletion protection is built-in, as is individual battery cell charge balancing.
- Power Distribution Box
- Two regulated 12V DC PowerTaps, one 500 mAh type A female USB connector, and also a connection point for the DJI Lightbridge Long Range HD Video Downlink are provided. These provide power connection for various accessories, including motorized follow focus systems, video transmitters, and more - all while keeping the wiring to a minimum.
- Quick Release Top Handle
- Designed to save time breaking the system down or transporting it between locations. Removing the handle bars can also be useful to reduce size when filming in tight locations.
- Based on Zenmuse Technology
- The Ronin-M adapts the same brushless motor technology used in DJI's aerial gimbals for handheld, terrestrial use.
Optional Accessories (Purchased Separately)
- Ronin-M Battery (Note: the Ronin Battery (3400mAh) is not compatible)
- Ronin Charger (same charger as used by original Ronin)
- Ronin-M Monitor/Accessory Mount
- Ronin-M Vertical Adjustment Arm Extension Kit (30mm)
- Wireless Thumb Controller for Ronin-M (Note: the Wireless Thumb Controller for Ronin is not compatible)
|Load Weight (Reference Value)||8 lb / 3.6 kg|
|Angular Vibration Range||±0.02°|
|Maximum Controlled Rotation Speed||Pan Axis: 90°/s
Tilt Axis: 100°/s
Roll Axis: 30°/s
|Mechanical Endpoint Range||Pan Axis Control: 360°/s
Tilt Axis Control: +105° /-165°/s
Roll Axis Control: ± 110°/s
|Controlled Rotation Range||
Pan Axis Control: 360°/s
Tilt Axis Control: +105° /-165°/s
|ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL|
|Motor Type||3 x Brushless|
|Working Current||Static Current: 300 mA (at 16 VDC)
Dynamic Current: 600 mA (at 16 VDC)
Locked Motor Current: 10 A maximum (at 16 VDC)
|Sensors||Independent IMU module
|Processing||32-bit DSP processor|
|Expandability||D-Bus receiver supported|
|Wireless||2.4 GHz for transmitter (remote controller)
|Wired||2 x 12 VDC regulated PowerTap
1 x USB power output (500 mW)
1 x DJI Lightbridge interface
|Assistant Software||Desktop: Windows (32- or 64-bit): 8, 7, XP SP3
Mac OS X: 10.9 or above
iOS 7.0 or later
|Control Modes||Underslung Mode
|Supported Camera Dimensions||Maximum depth at center of mass on camera base plate: 4.7" / 120 mm
Maximum height measured from top of camera base plate: 7.7" / 195 mm
Maximum width: 6.3" / 160 mm
|Power Requirements||4S Ronin-M Battery|
|Operating Temperature||-5 to 122°F / -15 to 50°C|
|Dimensions (W x D x H)||19.7 x 8.3 x 16.5" / 500 x 210 x 420 mm|
|Weight||5.07 lb / 2.3 kg (fully loaded with handlebar)|
|Package Weight||15.85 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||18.8 x 12.5 x 11.5"|
In the Box
DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer
- Ronin-M Transmitter (Controller)
- Ronin-M 4S Battery
- Battery Charger
- Handle Bar
- Turning Stand
- Cable Pack
- Micro-USB Cable
- Camera Mounting Plate
- 2 x Camera Screw A (1/4"-20)
- 2 x Camera Screw B (3/8"-16)
- 2 x Camera Screw C (1/4"-20)
- 2 x Camera Screw D (3/8"-16)
- Lens Support Screw
- Lens Support
- 3 x Allen Wrenches
1. FREE Standard Shipping
Free Economy Shipping is available on all orders exceeding R5,000. (T&C's apply)
*Terms and conditions to qualify for free shipping:
- Shipping may only be to a physical address within the borders of South Africa. No P.O Box's allowed.
- Shipping to outlying or remote areas like farms and game reserves may attract an additional fee.
- The delivery time to city areas is usually between 2 and 4 working days*. This excludes weekends and public holidays.
2. SWE Courier Service (local)
We use SWE couriers as our preferred method of delivery.
Your parcel is well packaged and handled with care while in transit.
Shipping charges are all depended on the following:
- Volumetric and Physical weight
- Courier Option
If Item is in stock, your item can be delievered between 1-2 Business Days - Main Cities are: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and East London. Other cities/towns will take more than 1-2 delivery time.
If Item is being collected from our suppliers, you item can be deeilevr between 2-7 Business Days - To all areas.
If the item has been pre-ordered for you, this can take anything from 4 - 8 weeks.
*Reckoned from time of dispatch to time of arrival to client. This is an estimate and not guaranteed. This period does not include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
3. UPS Courier Service (International)
International orders are generally subject to local import duties and taxes (VAT)
DT Sales is not responsible for, nor can we offer, any specific advice regarding any customs related fees that you may incur. For specific information, please consult with your local government import office.
Privacy: Your privacy is important to us. We strive to exceed your expectations for privacy. Cross-border shipments are subject to inspection by customs authorities. We may also be called upon to provide certain order, shipment, and product information to our international carriers. Carriers may communicate such information to customs authorities for the purpose of facilitating customs clearance and compliance with local laws.
International shipments are quoted on a per order basis depending on the size and weight of the parcel shipped.
4. Collect from DT Sales in Durban
You are welcome to place your order online, pay for it and collect it from our Durban branch. You will need to bring in a print out of the order for collection. Please ask for Louise in Sales on arrival.
DT Sales - Durban
Open: Mon-Fri 8 to 5PM
5 Nunhead Road,
Should you require anything else that is not on our Website, please email or phone on firstname.lastname@example.org , +27 31 261-6961 as this website is mainly for Catalouge purposes and an indication of what we sell.
Before making an order, please phone (031) 261-6961 to make sure there is available stock